The Central Trade Unions to observe June 26th across the Nation In solidarity with Samyukta Kisan Morcha as a "Save Agriculture-Save Democracy" Day
15 June 2021
On 14th June, 2021, the Farmers' agitation, led by Samyukta Kisan Morcha completed 200 days of continuous protest on and occupation of main highways leading into national capital Delhi, for their demands to repeal three farm laws, taking back the Electricity (Amendment) Ordnance, 2021 and legal guarantee for the MSP. They have not only faced bone-chilling cold and winter, destructive storms, scorching summer and now, the onset of rains, have sacrificed almost 500 comrades, but mainly, the out and-out pro-corporate Central Government that is bent on pushing these laws as well as the four hated labour codes.
June 26th marks the completion of seven month long struggle. There are several struggles, including this farmers' agitation, against the undeclared emergency and authoritarian BJP regime that the country is experiencing today. Even those inhabiting the small island of Lakshadweep are up against these authoritarian ways of the BJP, what to talk of the complete mess they have made in countering the devastating second wave of the Covid-19 pandemic.
It is worth noting that June 26th is also the death anniversary of the legendary farmer leader Swami Sahajanand Saraswati. The protests on June 26th will include sit-ins at Raj Bhavans in various states in addition to district/tehsil level protests all over India.
The CTUs appeal to all their members to reach out to all the sections of people to join hands in this nation-wide action on 26th June.
We, the CTUs demand that
1. Four labour codes, the three farm laws, the Electricity (Amendment) Ordnance, 2021 be repealed;
2. Minimum Support Price (MSP) for farmer produce be legally guaranteed;
3. Universal free vaccination within a specific time frame;
4. 10 kg free food grains per person per month to all needy and Rs.7500/-pm to every non income tax paying family every month;
5. Take back the policy of privatization of Public Sector enterprises and Government Departments;
6. The Govt. and PSU employees working day and night in the COVID-19 like Railway and Road transport ,Coal, Defence, SAIL, BHEL, Telecom and Postal service's, Banks and Insurance, Electricity, Water, Education and Health services, EPFO, Port & Dock etc be treated as frontline staff and compensate accordingly;
7. Rs 50 lakh insurance to all frontline workers including ASHA, Anganwadi employees, sanitation workers; adequate compensation to the families of the workers who died due to Covid 19.
INTUC | AITUC | HMS | CITU | AIUTUC | TUCC | SEWA | AICCTU | LPF | UTUC